Baking when you’ve deleted traditional grain based flours from your diet is…different. There is a definite learning curve. We’ve been at this no grain flour baking thing now for 10 years and after having tried the various versions of ‘gluten-free’ or ‘grain-free’ pre-made mixes we always fall back to what we know works. We’ve tried various biscuit recipes and they have always been sooo close but not close enough. This recipe though…this is easy to make and it comes in close to a Red Lobster buttery biscuit.
I found this recipe on Food Gawker in a keto search. The original comes from the lowcarbfamily.com under the title Low Carb Biscuits. As per my usual, I followed their recipe the first go around and made changes – minor on this one – thereafter.
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray. (These spread out too much and puff up too little on a cookie sheet. Use a pan with 12 wells.) Mix all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and combine thoroughly. Drop about 2 heaping tablespoons in each well. Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- NET carbs 2 per biscuit
This makes a wonderful, cheesy biscuit! I definitely use the cheese option. Technically, I use HEB’s Mexican blend shredded cheese. I’ve also taken to splitting the flour into 1 cup almond and 1/2 cup coconut just because I like the texture better.